Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Photos and Language

Good news! The photos have been posted from our trip to the American Corner in Pécs.  Dan and I had a wonderful experience. I hope you enjoy the pictures! Click on this link to see them:

https://picasaweb.google.com/acorner314/ConversationClubOctober22


This past week, Dan and I started privately tutoring a student.  It has been very interesting. Our student is a high school boy hoping to go to college in the United States this fall. We're helping him prepare for the spoken portion of the TOEFL test. The title stands for Test Of English as a Foreign Language. His English is already at a very high level. The problem for any person studying a language is finding a conversation partner.  Reading, writing, and listening are all good but they can only help so much.  Speaking the language is the most beneficial.  We have been helping our student by asking him questions and discussing a variety of topics.  Even though we have only met twice, we can already see an improvement.  I can easily relate to our student. Although we're here in Hungary, we don't have as many opportunities to speak Hungarian as you might think.  In order to keep my Hungarian progressing, I'm going to start Hungarian lessons soon. I have been studying on my own but I think having a person to help me will be better. I'm looking forward to my lessons and I will let you know how they go!

No comments:

Post a Comment