Friday, October 31, 2014

Halloween!

In the US, Halloween is a huge event with candy and costumes for all ages.  In Hungary, it's not even a real holiday.  We haven't seen any special candy or decorations. People are not in costume, at least not the majority of people.  When we were walking home this evening, we saw about four people with face paint.  They were not together but they all had a scary type of face paint made to look like a skull.  They had no other costume or accessories.

I've been noticing that I miss certain foods and products. One of my favorite types of candy (especially around Halloween) is the Reese's peanut butter cup. It is something that I definitely miss. The special holiday shapes always seem to taste better. Reese's cups do not exist in Hungary.  I don't know why but Hungarians seem to prefer all other nuts to peanuts.  There are plenty of sweets made of walnuts, macadamia nuts, hazelnuts, and chestnuts.  Peanuts and peanut products are rare.

Tomorrow is All Saints' Day (Mindenszentek).  Dan and I are going to check out a cemetery that is near our apartment.  Don't worry, this isn't a macabre event.  Every grave is decorated with flowers and candles and it is supposed to be very beautiful.  We've had two different people recommend this event to us so I'm sure it will be great.  I found a video online from last year.  I will be sure to post pictures or film from our trip tomorrow.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment