Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Hidas Analysis

The first part of my research is getting to know Hidas' music to the best of my ability. I have been listening to recordings and studying the scores individually. I wanted to share a few of the pieces with you.

Two pieces that I have been studying this week are Negyesfogat (Four in Hand) and Hét Bagatell (Seven Bagatelles).  Negyesfogat (Four in Hand) is a 5 movement work for trombone quartet. I had the opportunity to hear the Corpus Quartet (a Hungarian trombone quartet) play this piece on their tour last spring.  They were fantastic!  It was neat to hear Hidas' music played by Hungarian musicians at my own school.  I shared my research plans with them and they were excited to know that I was studying Hidas.  They enjoy his music as well.  If you visit their website (click here), you can hear them playing the piece. You will see a music player on the left side. Scroll down the list of pieces to click on Frigyes Hidas - Four in Hand.

Hét Bagatell (Seven Bagatelles) is a seven movement piece for 12 trombones. This piece was commissioned by the International Trombone Association in 1980.  I enjoy this piece because the sheer number of trombones allows for broader chords and more contrast between melody and accompaniment. Here is a video performance by the Eastman Trombone Choir. Enjoy!!


No comments:

Post a Comment