Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Research Happiness!

Each day I get more excited about my research. I love it! One of my goals is to provide complete and up-to-date information about Frigyes Hidas and his music. One of the most authoritative sources, the Grove Dictionary has an incomplete list of works. The final entry in the works list is "incidental music for theatre, radio, TV, and film." Other than the Internet Movie Database website, I previously could not find any sources listing these works. As of today, I have identified 27 pieces in this category and I'm not done yet! That doesn't sound incidental to me.

Szomszédok is probably the best known show for which Hidas composed. Szomszédok was a Hungarian soap opera-type show that ran from 1987 to 1999. Hidas composed the theme song which you can hear in this video. Note that if you go forward to 28:59, you can see Hidas' name in the credits!


Although my focus is on Hidas' brass music, I hope to have time to dive into his work for theatre, radio, TV, and film as well.  At the very least, I intend to compile a list of these works as a guide for future researchers.

No comments:

Post a Comment