Thursday, September 25, 2014

Hidas Research

Today I wanted to share an update on my research. It's been a slow start because we're still finishing everything related to settling down. Today, for example, we spent the entire day getting our residence permits. Still, I have made a good start organizing a plan and beginning to do it. Shortly after I arrived in Budapest, I learned about a book on Hidas just published this summer.

After finding a copy, I was able to read the book and make even more contacts. It's always exciting to learn about someone who is as passionate about your research as you are. I also found three more dissertations on Hidas and his music. At first I was a little nervous coming across more published sources. I thought maybe someone had already accomplished what I've set out to do. But then I remembered how amazing Hidas was. He has so much music in every genre. There is a reason why there are so many books written about the composers of the past. It's because there is so much to study! Each piece could alone warrant a book. I'm so grateful that I can use this year to focus on my research. We're currently at the beginning of sources on Hidas. I hope that my own work can inspire future historians, theorists, and performers to continue to study his life and music.

No comments:

Post a Comment