Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Trumpet Concert

On Monday evening, I went to the "Concerto Heavy Metal" concert presented by Concerto Budapest at the Budapest Music Center.  Besides being a great opportunity to hear brass music, this concert had a specific draw because it included the Hidas Trumpet Fantasy.  So far, this has been the only concert I have found with Hidas' music.  I don't know that I can explain my excitement!  This was the program:

Benjamin Britten: Fanfar
Georg Friedrich Händel: D-dúr szvit
Johann Sebastian Bach: d-moll kettősverseny
Antonio Vivaldi: C-dúr kettősverseny
-
Hidas Frigyes: Trombitafantázia
Zarándy Ákos: Spürst Du Mein Herz?
Zarándy Ákos: Breath Metal Ballad

The first half of the program was traditional and quite lovely.  The Hidas Trumpet Fantasy was the perfect start to the second half.  The Trumpet Fantasy lasts about 7 minutes but it includes several shifts in character. The opening is a dramatic section with a cadenza-like freedom.  Next is a lively rhythmic section.  It is this section where I can hear similarities to the first movement of Hidas' Horn Concerto. After a lyrical andante section, the remainder of the piece is a fast dance which reminds me of a tarantella. Here is a recording that I found online for you to enjoy.

 

The trumpet player at the concert I attended was Gábor Devecsai from Concerto Budapest. I think he did an excellent job of contrasting the various sections of the piece.  Mr. Devecsai performed on a rotary valve trumpet.  It was interesting for me to hear this instrument in a solo context.  I hope to hear this piece live again someday.

No comments:

Post a Comment