Monday, December 1, 2014

December!

Here it is December and I still can't believe how fast time is going. This last week flew by especially fast. Now we'll be through December before we know it.  I wanted to share a few updates about our time here. I apologize that I've been getting behind with my posts.

First, the gas in our apartment is back on! We are set for winter with our heat, hot water, and stove. We are so grateful to have it back. In the past few days, the temperature has dropped quite a bit. Hopefully we might be seeing a little snow soon. Currently the weather is hovering just above freezing so we're only seeing rain. Although it is gloomy outside, we're staying cozy inside.  I'm especially enjoying my Advent calendar which I just started today!


My research is going well but I'm still adjusting to the schedule. The hardest thing is the frequent fluctuation. Some days produce great findings and others do not.  I can plan to research but I cannot plan the results. Also, my schedule fluctuates with each lesson and volunteer opportunity. New events require more time planning for travel and finding the locations.  I look forward to the time when I can have a fairly regular schedule again.

On November 19, I took part in International Education week. The Fulbright Commission and EducationUSA were hosting an informational event about studying in the United States. I represented my 4 universities (Missouri State, Kansas, Illinois State, and Iowa) and answered questions. It was interesting to hear the concerns that Hungarian students have about college. They were not too different from the concerns of American students. Everyone I talked to was excited at the possibility of attending college or graduate school in the US.  I am grateful to have had this opportunity to meet Hungarian students and help answer their questions.

Finally, I wanted to share some thoughts on shopping. Dan and I have been to many of the malls in Budapest, searching for a new dress outfit that is also warm. I have had a tough time. First, any sizes which I may have known are now gone.  Even when I find clothes that say S, M, or L, they are set to a different standard. Also, the current trends in Budapest are different than what I would typically wear.  Some of the items we keep seeing are ponchos and jumpsuits and one of the most common fabrics is leather. I typically had a hard time shopping for clothes in the US but it is much harder in Budapest.  I will just keep trying.  I have found a few items and I hope to complete an outfit soon.



No comments:

Post a Comment